For the Auburn Valley Humane Society to be a success we need the help of the community! Volunteers are an integral part of our organization. With their help, we will be able to meet our fundraising goals and live our mission of providing quality care to lost, stray and abandoned animals.
What does it take?
- Do I enjoy interacting with people?
- Am I ready to make a firm commitment to the animals today and give my time?
- Am I 16 years or older?
- If not, do I have a parent or guardian that can accompany me while I volunteer?*
- Am I ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work?
- Fill out a volunteer application or the online form.
- Attend the volunteer orientation.
- Interview with the Director of Volunteer/Outreach Services to determine your interest and schedule your placement
- Attend training classes that pertain to the program area you are assigned
- Attend the dog walking class (1 and 2) (Dog walking is optional).
- Attend the cat care class (this is optional unless you want to be a cat foster or be a cat care volunteer)
- Schedule volunteer hours and have the TIME OF YOUR LIFE volunteering with the animals in our care!
* Volunteers between 10 and 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult (someone over the age of 18), preferably a parent or legal guardian while participating in any volunteer activity for AVHS.
*All volunteers under the age of 16 will not participate in any volunteer activities with direct animal contact (i.e. dog walking, kennel and cage cleaning). They will however be able to participate in some of the most important lifesaving duties (i.e. laundry, washing dishes and cat pans, filling cat pans, stuffing KONGS, sweeping and mopping floors as well as wiping down walls, doors, and door handles.
Allow a volunteer to learn our mission, policies, procedures, programs, gain an understanding of the many ways you can make a difference and help find forever homes for the animals in our care.
- Wednesday, August 17 – 6 to 8 pm
- Saturday, August 20 – 10 am to 12 pm
- Saturday, September 17 – 10 am to 12 pm
- Wednesday, September 20 – 6 to 8 pm
- Saturday, October 15 – 10 am to 12 pm
- Wednesday, October 19 – 6 to 8 pm
Please Pre-Register/RSVP for orientation by calling 253-249-7849 or email email@example.com . All classes are held at the Auburn Valley Humane Society, 4910 A St SE.
How old do you have to be to volunteer?
- You must be sixteen to volunteer
- Due to safety issues and insurance reasons, those between 10 and 15 must be accompanied by an adult, parent or guardian
What period of time do I need to commit to volunteering?
- 6 months
Can I carry out community service hours at the Auburn Valley Humane Society?
- Yes for high school community service.
- Court ordered community service is accepted on a case by case basis. Please contact Sharon at 253-249-7849 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
What type of experience or qualifications do I need to volunteer?
- Our volunteer opportunities are so diverse; we can typically accommodate a wide range of skill sets.
What sorts of programs do you offer volunteers?
We offer a wide variety of volunteer positions AND opportunities, such as:
- Dog and Cat Care
- Adoption Events (i.e. with PETSMART, Subaru Share the Love Event, Purina Days, Auburn Days)
- Fundraising Events (i.e. Barkfest, The Winners Circle Gala, Tour de Paws)
- Foster Opportunities
- Pet Transport Volunteer
- Humane Education Programs
- Volunteer at the AVHS animal shelter and our AVHS Thrift Store and More
- For a list of other possibilities, click here
If you have further questions, please contact us at 253-249-7849 or at email@example.com.