READ TO THE SHELTER CATS
AVHS has launched its Shelter Buddies Reading Program. The program is designed for children in grades K-6. There have been over 50 readers participating in the program. The Shelter-Buddy application is now open for accepting new readers at this time. Please check back soon to see when we have openings.
- Children will read to the shelter cats in designated cat colony rooms.
- Register for the program
- Apply online with this application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or come to the shelter to complete an application form
- Program hours are limited to: Monday – Thursday 10 am – 5 pm
- Children will earn prizes from Legendary Donuts and Menchies for every 5 reading sessions.
The program benefits both the animals and the readers. The animals receive human contact in a relaxing, comfortable environment that helps socialize them while the children practice their reading skills. Reading aloud has proven to help kids gain confidence. Their shelter buddies won’t say anything if they make a mistake!
Reading to a pet was tested at UC Davis’s School of Veterinary Medicine with wonderful results. Reading fluency improved as much as 30%. 75% of parents reported that their children read aloud more frequently and with greater confidence.
The program is a year-round at the AVHS shelter, located at 4910 A Street SE, Auburn 98092. Children will earn prizes for every five 30-minute reading sessions.
Sign up soon!
Contact us at 253-249-7849 for more details or email email@example.com.
We are looking for books to add to our education department. Would you be willing to donate one?
- Are You Ready for Me? (Sit! Stay! Read!) Sep 1, 2009 by Claire Buchwald and Amelia Hansen
- “Let’s Get a Pup!” Said Kate-Jul 14, 2003 by Bob Graham
Any books in good condition that are appropriate for grades K-6.
Special Thanks to our Sponsors for the Shelter Buddies Reading Program: